btn parcours découverte

The official website of Saint Laurent sur Sèvre

Saint Laurent sur Sèvre is called the “Holy City of Vendée” because of Louis Grignion de Montfort. Every year, around 25,000 visitors, among which Pope John Paul II in 1996, come to pray and meditate on his grave in the basilica. Saint Laurent can also rely on 1,820 students: 850 of them in the boarding school, in Saint Gabriel and Saint Michel (school) institutions. Moreover, Saint Laurent offers a good life both to the inhabitants and the visitors who are delighted to stroll, whatever the season is, on a lot of hiking trails and green tracks bordering the Sèvre Nantaise river.

Accueil / Heritages /


Click on photo to get full screen.


From 1859 to 1892 and from 1938 to 1949
Architects: Fraboulet and Laurentin

This basilica was build on the site of on the old parish church (XIth century), also dedicated to Saint Laurent. The demolition work began at the end of 1888.
The foundation stone of the new building was laid on 30th September 1889.
The crypt, the apse, the transept and the bell tower were achieved in 1892. Thanks to fund-raising, settled  by Père Logeais, works started again in 1938.
The nave, reduced to two bays in comparison with the initial plan, was finished in 1949.
The statue on the central wall was realized by the sculptor E. Dupré.
The building was consecrated as a basilica on 25th August 1963 and was also recognized as a place for pilgrimage.

- Choir et transept
- Tombstone
- Ciborium




  • Situation

    Saint-Laurent sur Sèvre

    Population : 3 535 habitants


    - à 70 km de Nantes

    - à 80 km d'Angers

    - à 60 km de La Roche-sur-Yon
  • Cartes & plans